Thursday 2 January 2014

"Run for me Sharon"

I walk through the door after work, and darren is sitting there waiting, in his running gear. C'mon c'mon, he's ready to go. I change and we head out. The temperature was perfect and with just a slight breeze, it was a great night for a run. 8km by our training plan. The kilometres tick over, and soon we are back home. Spent.

Checking our times, we realise we have knocked 6 minutes of our 8km run on Monday night! happy days.



Running for me is about that feeling when I finish a run, you can't buy it. I am a research nurse that works with melanoma patients, and it could be very tough if it wasn't for running. It's my release, my therapy, my 'me' time. One patient once said to me as I was ready to run a half marathon that weekend, "run for me Sharon", and I did. It was the 19km mark, and it was raining, it was awful, I'm sure anyone who did the Melb marathon festival can remember how awful those last few kilometres were. But suddenly, those words flashed in my mind, and it pushed through the pain and the conditions and I accepted my first half marathon medal for Melbourne. I never did get to show her.

Until next time, thanks for reading xx


No comments:

Post a Comment