Monday 11 August 2014

Pichi Richi Half Marathon June 29

Time to pack our bags and head off again. We do our usual routine of staying out at the airport, sleep is so very important in the lead up to a run. We know we have a big drive 3.5-4 hours tomorrow from the airport to Port Augusta, so we are in bed early. 

The alarm goes off, and I'm excited to be heading to somewhere I've never been before, in fact, neither of us have actually stopped there, (Darren drove through years ago' if that counts). We head to the gate after picking up our routine lattes. The flight is non eventful, before we know it we are in Adelaide. We make our way to the car hire, and pick up our cute little Hyundai. 

We drive the few hours to Port Pirie and stop for lunch. It's freezing, although blue skies are trying to break through.

Port Pirie

Our long drive!

It doesn't take much time to arrive in Port Augusta after lunch, and we find our accommodation  and check in. We are located on S pincer Gulf, and although the temperature is in single digits, we layer up and go for a walk. 

Spencer Gulf

We head back to our room, to watch some AFL before heading out to our pasta dinner, hosted by the rotary club. I love when events host a pasta night prior to our event. It's great to talk to the locals and share our journey.

We head off in the dark for dinner, and for the life of me, after 2-3 u-turns, I just cannot work out how to arrive at our destination!  I eventually call the rotary club, and receive directions, which sees us making yet another u-turn.

Our night is great. We share our story and everyone is genuinely interested in our goal. After a great meal, we head back to our room. We were shocked to find out that the start line is not in Port Augusta, but in Quorn!! This means we will be up even earlier in the morning now.

The alarm god off, we go through our usual routine, and are in the car on our way before long. I am thankful for our late checkout, there is no way we would have been able to get back, showered and packed up in time! It is still cold, well, actually, freezing. Drizzle is forecast! 

We arrive at the footy oval, park our car, and head to the bus, which will take us 21km back through a winding hilly road. I sit there freezing, I think my lips are blue. Darren doesn't say much as we wait for the bus to transport is to the start line.

We get out of the bus, and I am thankful to see that there is a fire to keep us warm! What a fabulous idea!
Me keeping warm!

Before long, we start our run, and my count down begins. Darren heads off early and I am left alone to pound the hilly roads.

Darren is waiting for me at the finish line, and he has had a good run. With 16kms of up hill and only 5km of flat road, he loved the beautiful countryside, having never been to the area prior.

I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy the run,mi loved the Flindes Ranges, but I didn't like the drizzle, and I certainly DID NOT like the hills, any of the 16km of them!! As I ran, I found someone's running bib, and didn't think twice about picking it up and handing it in at the next drink station. After all, your running bib is the one thing that stays with you for every kilometre. To some, and to me, my bib is something I cherish!

Some of the sights....






Well I arrive at the finish line, and have to queue up for my medal with all the 10km runners. Quite disappointing to have to queue for so long. I'm cold, I'm tired, I'm hungry (nothing changes there), and just want to get the bling and leave. 


And another event over with. We drive back to Adelaide to catch our flight, with a few minutes to spare! We are happy to be heading home, injury free, another event under our belts. I am so looking forward to our next one....Broome!! Mid 20's every day! Can't wait for sunshine and Cable Beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment