Sunday 12 October 2014

7 September Ross Marathon Festival


We arrived in Ross mid afternoon. With a 6.30 pasta night organised, after checking out Ross itself, we decided to rest up and watched the AFL final on TV. When it finished, we went to the town hall to eat. It was great value for money, and it's great talking to other like minded people.

Back to the room, my footy team is playing, and we lost, really badly. I went to sleep sulking!
The half marathon was not starting until 9.30, so we didn't get up till 8! I was ready to do this. Bring it on!!! The usual morning routine, then we head off to the start line. There is hundreds of people! Wow! We are surprised. We certainly didn't expect the 300 odd entrants!

Before long, we are off, and I stick to the back of the pack, as always. I enjoy the scenery, taking some shots on the way out from town. The sun is quite warm and I am grateful to see some trees and shade in the distance. I am thinking about the 'hill' that everyone has warned us about. At the drink station I thank the volunteers, as always, and continue on. 7.5km in and I am looking at the incline. OMG!!!!! I am going to die!!!!


It is at this point, I would like to say, that bedsides finishing without injury, my other goal is not to walk, no excuses. I round 2 corners and am at the foot of the hill. Let's do this. One foot in front of the other, keep going, you have got this....I repeat over and over. Finally, I reach the top, and the view is beautiful, aahhhhh downhill, yay. I keep running along, enjoying the beautiful countryside that is Tasmania. I approach the halfway mark and see that I have a time of 1:14, not too bad seeing I take photos and start at the back of the pack. This time round, I struggle. I have run tough halves this year, but the late start just messed with me. I really struggle, and when I run past my hubby going the other way around the 14km mark, it must show on my face, 'keep going honey' he tells me. I suck it up, mostly because I have no choice!

After the loop, I have a strong headwind, it feels stronger than the first lap, the sun is beating down, and I just want this over. I know I have the hill to look forward to, hahaha, and tears spring in my eyes. Are you kidding me?? I'm having a slight teary on the track??? I wipe them away, blaming the wind and sun, but I know I'm broke.

Just before the hill, I spot some lambs and sheep. They bring a smile to my face. I cross over and stop to take some photos, and another runner, participating in the full marathon is doing the same. He is a young man around 30 and we exchange pleasantries. Ok, off to the hill. I decided to walk up the hill, because I don't know how else I was going to get to the top otherwise. At the top, I say to myself 3km to go, you've got this. One foot in front of the other....still struggling.

I'm tired, I'm hungry, I'm hot and grumpy and spent. I'm cross that there was no electrolytes left on the 2nd lap. I just want this over!!
I round a couple more corners, and there it is, I can see the finish line, 500m ahead. I dig deep, real deep, deeper than I've ever had to before. A few people cheer me on, and tears spring to my eyes again, but I don't care this time. I'm almost there, and then, just like that it's over. Medal around my neck, we head to the bakery for food and drinks. I have another run in 2 weeks time, I'm hoping my head is in a better place on race day!


Darren thought the run was hard halfway through as the sun was beating down on him and it was hot! Another nice, small town scenery to admire and he enjoyed this one.
Sydney is in two weeks time, we are almost done!

No comments:

Post a Comment