Sunday 20 April 2014

ANZAC Run April 2014

It may be a long weekend, an extra long weekend, but that doesn't stop us setting a 6am alarm for today's run.

Darren's hip has given him a bit of grief since last weeks run in Canberra and as we drive up to the city he says he hopes it holds up.

This reminds me how important it is for us to complete our events without injury. I'm not sure I would want to run an event interstate knowing Darren was on the side line; he says he would try twice as hard and run for both of us. Let's hope we don't have to visit that this year!

It's an amazing sunrise this morning and we marvel at it as we drive out of our home town. We have Billy with us this morning; he is running in his aunty's place, my little sister who is nursing an injured foot. Billy is fairly quiet all the way to the city; it's his first event with Darren and I. He is studying year 12, and aspires to study medicine; I figure a run will be as good for his health as anything.

We park the car and walk the couple of km's to the start line. We drop our bag at the bag drop area and meet up with a friend we haven't seen for a while. It's his first fun run and he is caught up in the atmosphere.

Pre run

We head to the start line and there is a small service before we head off. The last post echoes through the morning and gives me goose bumps; it always has. We head off, I don't see Billy till the end of the run, nor Darren. The Tan is not an easy run; it never has been for me. Anderson st is my nemesis and I run most of the way up, but end up giving in and have to walk on both laps. I run past a guy who has a t-shirt on that's says he is an ANZAC's grandson and a Vietnam vet's son; he is running proud. This hits home as to why we acknowledge ANZAC day.


Darren ran at one speed, not wanting to hurt himself. About halfway through he was a bit sore, but finished with no injury=mission accomplished!

I run through the finish line, collect my medal and there are some servicemen not too far away. I have my photo with them; and our friend Craig, then go find Darren and Billy.



We are hungry and head down to Richmond to refuel. Soon we are on our way home, another run complete.



Time for a stretch and rest! Next run: Brimbank Trail series half marathon, Sunday 27 April.

No comments:

Post a Comment